The Anti-Racist Leaders Association
A safe space for aspiring allies to step up and step in with expert support to begin leading the way on your anti-racist journey…
In the original Anti-Racism Circle – and now in the Anti-Racist Leaders Association – Sharon has introduced us to amazing Black women as guest speakers. I’ve been moved to tears by the beauty, deep emotion, and deep injustices.
More importantly, I’ve been moved to action, in part because Sharon doesn’t let us sit back to just “listen and learn.” She pushes white people (like me) to take anti-racist action, and she. Holds. Us. Accountable. Sign me up, again and again.
Alice Blackburn, Solutions Architect Director
The group is exactly the right balance of support and challenge. Reading and being seen to do the right things (performative anti-racism) are not enough on this journey, and the group helps us hold ourselves accountable by ensuring we take ACTION, whatever that might look like for each of us.
The group is a vibrant and dynamic space and uses a variety of tools to engage us and make us think, which ALWAYS inspires me to do and be more. I come away from the group truly believing that an equal world really IS possible in my lifetime.
Becky Jovy-Ford, Armchair Activist
This is a space to ask the questions you have and get the accountability you need to move forward in your anti-racist journey. It will be the catalyst to go from consuming content to doing the work.
It is the space to move from understanding to action, and to deeper understanding rooted in the perspective of people’s lived experience not passive reporting.
Mandy Fiechtner, Program Manager
About The Association
Change doesn’t happen in a vacuum. Change happens in community. Becoming a leader of change – of moving from racism to anti-racism – means being in community and leading in community.
The Anti Racist Leaders Association is a community space for leaders – that is, for anyone committed to leading the way to anti-racism – to give and receive support, to share and receive advice, to work at being anti-racist, to get questions answered and to learn directly from our guest experts.
How It Works
As a member of the Association, you’ll receive ongoing support in your journey to become and be an Anti-Racist Leader with access to a private members-only WhatsApp group where you’ll receive regular resources and valuable learning (and doing) materials.
Monthly live Q&A sessions are a regular opportunity to get support creating and actioning your Personal Anti-Racism Action Plan, to acknowledge the racist actions and behaviour you still struggle with, to bring your challenges to the table, to commit to regular action and progress and to meet fellow Anti-Racist Leaders on their journey.
- Receive direct, open and sometimes challenging support in a safe and kind space.
- Be encouraged and supported to create a Personal Anti-Racism Action plan, and receive support as you work at it.
- Receive weekly resources and tools to help you on your anti-racism journey (and empower you to lead others there too).
- Be held to account with higher expectations and trust in your ability to keep raising your game as an Anti-Racist Leader.
- Have the space and grace to share your mistakes and receive non-judgmental and kind support (even in the face of your f*ck ups!).
- Be invited to exclusive webinars with guest speakers and experts.
The Q&A and Live Learning sessions are hosted and facilitated by Mission Equality’s Co-Founders, Lea Jovy-Ford and Sharon Hurley Hall.
And the Anti-Racist Leader badge? Showing your commitment visually AND helping us spread the anti-racist message is key to wide-scale change…every small step helps. The badge can be gained and it can be withdrawn.
The Anti-Racist Leader Badge
- Access to a private, members-only WhatsApp group.
- Monthly Live Q&A sessions with members of the Anti-Racist Leaders team.
- Monthly Live Learning sessions with members of the Anti-Racist Leaders team & guest speakers.
- Display the Anti-Racist Leaders badge for the duration of your membership, when you’ve been a continuous and active member for 12 months.
Association Membership Terms
1. All Anti-Racist Leader Association fees are non-refundable. You may cancel your membership at any time.
2. If you act in any way which, in our opinion, is likely to cause any harm or nuisance to any person in a group platform, you will be required to leave the group platform immediately and we shall not be liable to refund your fees or any other payments.
3. You agree to respect and protect your fellow Association members’ privacy and any confidential information shared with you at ALL times.
4. All live sessions will be recorded and made available to you, for listening at your own convenience, whether you attend the live session or not.
5. Unless consent is given, you may not at any time copy, reproduce, publish in any form, share, sell, dispose of or otherwise make available to a third party in any way any of the content or materials that we use or share on any platform.
6. We grant to you a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sub licensable revocable licence to use all or any of the content or material shared with you for the purposes for which it was provided only.
7. You may not, without our prior written consent make any audio or visual recordings or take photographs of all or any part of our the live sessions or webinars.
8. These Terms shall be governed by the courts in England and you hereby submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.
Who can join the Association?
Anyone who wants to be a leader on the path to anti-racism can join the Anti-Racist Leader Association; this isn’t just for business leaders, it’s for community leaders too (and communities come in all shapes and sizes!). If you’re committed to your anti-racism journey and would like direct, active and live support, membership is for you.
Who leads the live sessions?
The Association’s live sessions – both Q&A and Live Learning – are currently hosted and facilitated by our co-Founders, Lea Jovy-Ford and Sharon Hurley Hall. You can read more about them here.
What is the Personal Anti-Racism Action Plan?
We will provide you with a template to create a plan designed to help you move forwards with intention and a more cohesive strategy for being anti-racist and to help yourself and others work towards anti-racism. You’re welcome to bring this plan to the live Q&A sessions to get support and overcome any challenges you might face as you work to your plan.
When are the live Q&A sessions?
The live Q&A sessions for members of the Association are scheduled every month for:
- The FIRST Saturday of every month for a live Q&A session at 9.30am Pacific | 12.30pm Eastern/ 5.30pm UK
- The THIRD Sunday of every month for a live Learning session at 9.30am Pacific | 12.30pm Eastern | 5.30pm UK
What if I can’t attend a session?
You do not need to notify anyone though we would appreciate notification of non-attendance as a courtesy; it makes for a more supportive, community-oriented group when all members uphold their commitment to attend and we expect as full attendance as possible.
How do I get the ARLA Badge?
When you’ve been a member for the required duration and attended at least SIX live Q&A sessions in any 9 month period, we will confirm your attendance commitment and activity levels before we share the badge for you to display where you choose.
If I can’t display the badge, can I share that I’m a member of ARLA?
Absolutely. This isn’t Fight Club! We are more than happy for you to share that you’re a member of ARLA – in fact, we’d actively encourage you to invite more members to join to help pave a path to an anti-racist society. We do ask – as per our membership terms – that you respect everyone’s privacy and also the copyright terms of others’ resources we share (our own resources are freely shareable with attribution). Please do feel free to share your own experiences and thoughts about being a member however.